|Job Type:||Full Time|
|Salary Level ($):|
|Job Location:||Ottawa, ON|
|Highest Level Of Education:||Bachelor|
|Job Posting Date:||17-May-2018|
Job Opportunity with Carleton University
World Skills Employment Centre is working with Carleton University to recruit for the position of Computer Systems Analyst.
World Skills is not hiring for this position. If you are interested in this opportunity, please follow these steps:
If you are not yet registered with World Skills, please contact 613-233-0453 ext.300 / Reception@ottawa-worldskills.org to book an appointment for Intake and Assessment or to learn more about our programs and services.
World Skills works with newcomers/immigrants to help them integrate into the Canadian labor market. http://www.ottawa-worldskills.org
Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to both the Computer Systems & Network Administrator, and the Information Technology Officer in the Dean of Science, the Computer Systems Analyst provides technical computer support for instructional and research activities of the School, as well as its administrative unit. The position is concerned with the operational administration of the instructional laboratories and computer support for the School. The incumbent has specific responsibilities for software and hardware procurement, installation, configuration, administration, diagnosis, and maintenance; instructional laboratory operations administration; and instructional IT support.
Additionally, as an integral part of the collaborative IT team within the Faculty of Science, the incumbent is also responsible for providing escalated and secondary frontline computer support to other academic units within the Faculty of Science and shared operational administration of research computing facilities in the Faculty of Science.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Sound knowledge of computer based systems (hardware and software), Ethernet-based networks, and high performance computing systems;
• Complete familiarity with the operating systems (MacOS X, Windows, Unix and Linux) in use within the School and the Faculty;
• Knowledge of Linux and Unix;
• Understanding and management of open-source software;
• Knowledge of these operation systems is essential;
• Familiarity with various software application packages including but not limited to Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Mailman, Adobe Acrobat, TeX, and Dreamweaver;
• Ability to program using scripting languages or shell scripting for system management;
• Experienced with the current state of the art web application development;
• Ability to develop database driven web applications with open source web development frameworks;
• Previous experience in a high performance computing environment, specifically, large linux-based compute clusters and shared memory systems;
• Experience with maintaining job schedulers open source scientific software, and large scale software environments;
• The ability to adapt quickly to new software and hardware and emerging technologies;
• Familiarity with commercial and open source Mathematics and Statistical and other discipline specific software packages would be an asset;
• Knowledge of Windows Server, LAMP Web development tools, and integration of computer resources in a heterogeneous environment would an asset;
• Familiarity with other mobile and software development frameworks is an asset;
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
A four year degree in Computer Science or Computer/Electrical Engineering or equivalent, as well as Unix training or certification, specifically Linux (courses in programming, scripting and system management would be an asset) and five years of relevant experience in system management, computer support, and web application programming (a combination of education and experience would be considered); experience in a high performance computing environment is a requirement.