Job Opportunity with ENGLISH LANGUAGE TUTORING FOR THE OTTAWA COMMUNITY
World Skills Employment Centre is working with ENGLISH LANGUAGE TUTORING FOR THE OTTAWA COMMUNITY to recruit for the position of ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT.
World Skills is not hiring for this position. If you are interested in this opportunity, please follow these steps:
- Please send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, on or before 9:00 am, August 13, 2018.
- Please write the position title in the subject line of your email.
- Please save your cover letter and resume as a SINGLE document, with the file name Your First Name_ Last Name_Position Title (John_Smith_Project Officer). IMPORTANT!
- Late applications will not be accepted.
If you are not yet registered with World Skills, please contact 613-233-0453 ext.300 / Reception@ottawa-worldskills.org to book an appointment for Intake and Assessment or to learn more about our programs and services.
World Skills works with newcomers/immigrants to help them integrate into the Canadian labor market. http://www.ottawa-worldskills.org
Position: Regular, Full-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Work Hours: 35 hrs/week + 1hr/week (Syrian Refugee Tutoring Program assistance)
(14 days of office closure without pay)
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
Salary: $18.00 to $19.39 per hour with benefits
Start Date: End of September 2018
The Organization: English Language Tutoring for the Ottawa Community (ELTOC) is a non-profit organization that teaches English to adults who cannot attend regular school. Tutoring is offered in the student’s home, on a one-onone basis, by ELTOC trained volunteer tutors. ELTOC staff includes an executive director, an administrative assistant and 3 ESL counsellors. It is managed by a team of volunteer board members. For more information visit: www.eltoc.ca.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director/Program Coordinator, the incumbent assists the Executive Director with administrative tasks; prepares correspondence, reports, statements and other materials; operates office equipment, answers telephones and performs clerical / computer duties according to established procedures. For additional details, please see the Job Description below.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- completion of a 3 year college diploma in any discipline
- proficient in the use of software applications such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
- experience using MS Access, MS Publisher, and WordPress (website editing software) would be considered an asset
- excellent communication skills are essential in English (both spoken & written)
- spoken communication skills in Arabic would be considered an asset
- at least 1 year of office work experience
- highly organized and able to complete multiple tasks and priorities in a timely fashion
- self-starter and able to work both independently and within a team
- flexibility working in a quiet small team-oriented office
- ability to set priorities and demonstrate flexibility in work hours as required
- client service oriented, and works effectively both alone and as part of a team
- exhibits sensitivity in working in a volunteer-based setting
- excellent listening skills, and demonstrates empathy, sound judgement, initiative, and responsibility in communicating with people from a variety of socio-cultural and language backgrounds and with limited skills in the English language
- creative in solving problems and able to recommend solutions
- willingness to participate in ELTOC events outside of office hours within the scope of responsibilities for this job
ENGLISH LANGUAGE TUTORING FOR THE OTTAWA COMMUNITY
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT - Job Description
Assists the Executive Director with administrative tasks; prepares correspondence, reports, statements and other materials; operates office equipment, answers telephones and performs clerical/computer duties according to established procedures.
- upkeep office and computer equipment
- input data to and extract reports from ELTOC’s internal database (MSAccess) and the government generated database (HARTs)
- update ELTOC’s website (with WordPress) and social media sites
- perform reception duties: answer phone calls, provide general information to visitors, clients and the public, and assist with library resources
- assist in the client/volunteer matching process - advertise, recruit, take phone referrals, maintain accurate records and files
- produce quarterly newsletter including writing, graphics, and design with input and upon consultation with co-workers
- write standard letters, design/adapt forms and develop promotional material (flyers, brochures, etc.)
- respond to enquiries and requests received via telephone or email from potential clients, volunteers and the public, directing individuals/enquiries to the appropriate staff member or external agency
- photocopy and collate documents for distribution, mailing and filing using email, post and courier services
- purchase office supplies
- record petty cash transactions, make bank deposits, mail out prepared invoices
- organize maintenance services and supplies for office equipment
- assist in compiling information for Board members, grant proposals and other purposes
- help with set up of meeting rooms for staff and board
- oversee the upkeep of the shared office space and the kitchen
- clerical tasks related to any of the duties indicated above
- oversee work of office volunteers
Administrative support to the Executive Director
Syrian Refugee Tutoring Program
- take student referrals
- enter information into the database
- register new students into the program
- willingness to participate in ELTOC special events outside of office hours (eg.- AGM, Volunteer
Appreciation Day, Office Retreat, fund raising events, and Heartwood House events, etc.)
Within the scope of responsibilities for this job, specific duties may change with the needs of the