Employment Law 101. Ask the Specialists!: General Employment Law
December 13 @ 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Learn about Employment law in Ontario. Employment laws are in place to guarantee a fair and safe working environment for employers and employees. Statutes and strict rules outline how employees should be treated within the workplace. Many employers and employees often don’t realize how many rules and regulations are covered by employment law, leading to confusion for employers and employees alike.
In this session, the presenters will address topics such as:
• Employment contracts and letters of offer – what to look for, and look out for • Employee rights and responsibilities in the Canadian workplace.
• Types of work contracts (FT, PT, Consultant, Casual) and benefits coming with each type of contract
• Details about common “terms and conditions of employment” for those various contract types
• How to deal with workplace legal issues, e.g. when an employer is not fulfilling their commitments towards the employee, e.g. arbitrary or sudden changes in hours of work, rates of pay
• What flexibility is there around changing hours of work – requested by employee?