On July 27, 2016 World Skills Employment Centre, the Lebanese and Arab Social Services Agency (LASSA) and the Catholic Centre for Immigrants (CCI) held a meeting to officially lunch the Roadmap to Employment for Refugees program, a one-year project funded by United for Refugees and Community Foundations of Ottawa.
This program will assist refugees and newcomers in general with lower language skills who are looking to obtain employment commensurate to their skills and education.
The YMCA/YWCA Ottawa joined us to provide input related to a pilot project they had initiated with CCI to fill the existing gap and offer pre-employment service to this group of clients.
The overall objective of the program is to facilitate the integration of Syrian refugees and newcomers into the Ottawa labour market through:
- Individual needs assessment
- Pre-employment group training
- One-on-one pre-employment support
- Workplace orientation and cross-cultural communications training
- Hands-on activities related to resume writing, job interview practice, and professional networking; and
- Follow-up activities to ensure a successful outcome for each individual
We’re very excited about this new opportunity to support our clients in their integration process in Canada and to continue working in partnership with different organizations toward the common goal of helping them succeed.
The first workshop is scheduled to start on the third week of August.
For more information contact World Skills Employment Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-233-0453 Ext. 340.